Industrial Maintenance Mechanic
Location: Ripon, CA
The Industrial Maintenance Mechanic is to be proficient in every aspect of performing the functions of this position. The Industrial Maintenance Mechanic’s overall responsibility, and objective, is to maintain proper functionality of all operating equipment including troubleshooting, adjustments, installation, repair or replacement of equipment and components.
FOOD SAFETY COMMITMENT EXPECTATION
Diamond Pet Foods is a leading manufacturer of Premium Pet Foods that markets its products nationally and internationally. Our success is measured by the satisfaction of our customers. We strive to provide them with safe, quality products and service that continually meets or exceeds their expectations. All employees will foster a safety conscious environment that encourages involvement and provides the highest level of integrity. Diamond Pet Foods will always be conscious of business ethics, regulatory requirements, and our environment. They will expect employees to take ownership pride in the products that go out the doors and, in the service, they give their customers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure all operating equipment is in good operating condition.
- Routinely check for any malfunctions regarding equipment operation.
- Install, replace, or repair equipment as needed.
- Make adjustments to equipment as needed to ensure full functionality.
- Perform trouble shooting and preventative maintenance on various manufacturing and packaging equipment.
- Document work in a computerized maintenance management system (SOMAX).
- Read schematics of machinery.
- Perform fabrication, welding, and machining as required.
- Conduct “hot work” permit work as necessary to include grinding and/or welding as required.
- Assist in training of fellow Industrial Maintenance Mechanics in proper Diamond processes and procedures.
- Perform all other additional duties and functions as assigned by management.
ADDITIONAL ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Must work in a safe, professional manner at all times while performing all functions in accordance with sound safety practices and Must promptly report all safety violations, safety hazards, accidents, property damage, or near misses to management immediately.
- Working overtime is mandatory and requires full participation.
- Accept temporary assignment changes to assist other areas including coverage for other employees’ absences whether preplanned or on short notice, maintaining a positive and professional attitude.
- Cross-train in other job duties as required.
- Participate in all safety meetings and programs including, but not limited to, LOTO, Fall Protection, Energized Equipment Safety, etc.
- Understand, follow, comply, and maintain all Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s), and all other Diamond policies and procedures.
- Complete work in a safe, timely, accurate and thorough manner and be conscientious about assignments.
- In accordance with Diamond philosophy, the Industrial Maintenance Mechanic is expected to champion and direct continuous learning and improvement in all functions.
- Adhere to and promote a strong work ethic.
- Assist in maintaining a positive team environment and good working relationship by maintaining a positive attitude toward all Diamond team members, vendors, and customers.
- Participate effectively in a team atmosphere by modeling and promoting conflict resolution, diversity, ethical practices, and organizational citizenship.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES AND EXEMPTION STATUS:
No Supervisory Responsibilities
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Detailed understanding of gear boxes, coupling, cams, conveyors, lubrication, chains/sprockets, belts/pulleys, bearings, hot cold/glue applications, thermocouples, heating elements, drive line components and machine guarding
- Working knowledge and repair ability of basic, pneumatic, and mechanical drive systems at the component level on all assigned equipment: Packaging, overwrap, case pack/erectors, conveying, processing, or facilities equipment, etc.
- Working knowledge of motor starters, proximity switches and sensors found on all assigned equipment using basic test equipment such as multi-meters, amp probes, visual inspection.
- Possess a fundamental understanding of electrical and pneumatic schematics, and mechanical drawings to solve problems in a timely manner.
- Capable of operating applicable hand tools and shop equipment
- Ability to work in confined spaces as required and adhere to regulations and policies covering confined space. (Mechanics working in confined space are required to learn Basic First Aid and CPR.)
- Ability to understand and adhere to LOTO, Confined Space, and all other plant safety/GMP requirements related to supporting machinery uptime.
- Ability to work at heights and qualify for fall protection use.
- Must be able to be fall protection certified, LOTO certified, and forklift certified.
- Must be able to fabricate and weld.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, to effectively communicate in a professional manner.
- Excellent interpersonal skills (communication, listening, team player, cooperative, approachable).
- Ability to be organized, flexible, multitask, manage stress, and perform acceptably under pressure.
- Ability to maintain a problem-solving mindset able to make accurate critical decisions; to anticipate problems and to develop constructive and balanced solutions.
- Ability to work in cold, hot, dusty areas and at various heights.
- Ability to read and understand SOP’s, GMP’s and all other Diamond policies and procedures.
- Must be able to take direction, work efficiently and safely.
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Must successfully pass a pre-employment drug test, physical (physical, lifting, hearing, and vision), and background check.
- 2 years of experience in a mechanical or maintenance role. A trade school certification in a related field will be accepted in lieu of experience.
- Skilled in using a basic computer system.
- All Diamond Pet Food employees who drive company owned vehicles or drive their own vehicle for company purposes must present and maintain a valid driver’s license with a clear DMV record that is insurable with our company vehicle insurance For personal vehicle use for company purposes, the employee must also provide a copy of their valid vehicle insurance policy.
Work is performed primarily indoors in an office setting. Work will be also conducted outdoors or in the plant near operating equipment. Works in both low and high heights, cold, hot, dusty areas where loose particles may be present. Works near operating equipment and loud noise, such as forklift horns and machinery. Loose and dusty particles may be present.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be able to stand, sit, and walk for long periods including on a catwalk.
- Must be capable of lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling up to 50 pounds routinely.
- Must be capable of overhead work and manual dexterity for manipulating or moving objects.
- Must be able to climb both stairs and ladders up to a high elevation.
- Must be able to balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl.
- Must be able to operate a forklift.
- Must be able to perform heavy labor under constant machine operation and other noise.
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT
Work performed in this job requires employee to wear the following PPE as required. PPE is provided to employee by Diamond Pet Foods Other PPE is required based upon the task being completed. Employees must always wear the proper personal protective equipment for the task.
- Bump Cap/Hard Hat
- Welding hood
- Ear Plug
- Welding gloves
- Safety Glasses
- Full Body Harness
- Work Boot
- Flame Resistant Clothing
- Face Shield
- Arc Flash Equipment
Please send resume and completed application to [email protected]Download AR, KS, MO, SC Application Download CA Application