Quality Control Technician
Department: Quality Control
Location: Ripon, CA
The Quality Control Technician is to be proficient in every aspect of performing the functions of this position. The Quality Control Technician’s overall responsibility, and objective, is to ensure that all aspects of the SQF, Quality, and Food Safety Programs are followed by all employees, vendors, visitors, etc.
FOOD SAFETY COMMITMENT EXPECTATION
Diamond Pet Foods is a leading manufacturer of Premium Pet Foods that markets its products nationally and internationally. Our success is measured by the satisfaction of our customers, We strive to provide them with safe, quality products and service that continually meets or exceeds their expectations. All employees will foster a safety conscious environment that encourages involvement and provides the highest level of integrity. Diamond Pet Foods will always be conscious of business ethics, regulatory requirements, and our environment. They will expect employees to take ownership pride in the products that go out the doors and, in the service, they give their customers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Routinely check operator paperwork for accuracy and completeness.
- Routinely check label, bags, and seals for accuracy.
- Assure checks are documented clearly, cross referenced and traceable. Communicate results of routine QA tests to production personnel. Notify supervisory personnel and Quality Control and Food Safety Manager of product quality or plant conditions which may have a negative impact on product quality and work together to correct the situation.
- In the case of finished product, perform follow-up testing until situation is corrected and product disposition is resolved in a quality conscious manner.
- As directed and trained, conduct various tests for incoming ingredients, including sieve, NIR, moisture, and mycotoxin testing.
- Maintain and report hold/reject product and assure its proper disposition.
- Collect routine ingredient and finished product samples, as required (detailed in QA Manual).
- Train and educate all personnel on quality and food safety practices.
- Promptly respond to calls for assistance clearly communicating and ETA of arrival.
- Promptly respond to quality/food safety concerns, following up as needed.
- Follow First In First Out (FIFO) and enforcing other departments to follow the same process.
- Continuously work with and/or assist production, maintenance, and sanitation personnel as needed throughout the shift.
- Maintain a clean work environment and stock supplies as needed for next shift.
- Ensure, and hold accountable, all personnel, visitors, vendors, etc., comply with all Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in addition to all SQF, Quality, and Food Safety Programs.
- Maintain accurate, complete, and legible paperwork.
- Assist Quality Control and Food Safety Manager with all other duties/tasks as needed.
- Perform all other additional duties and functions as assigned by management.
ADDITIONAL ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Working overtime is mandatory and requires full participation.
- Accept temporary assignment changes to assist other areas including coverage for other employees’ absences whether preplanned or on short notice, maintaining a positive and professional attitude.
- Cross-train in other job duties as required.
- Participate in all safety programs and meetings.
- Understand, follow, comply, and maintain all Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s), and HACCP in accordance with company policy.
- Complete work in a timely, accurate and thorough manner and be conscientious about assignments.
- In accordance with Diamond philosophy, the Quality Control Technician is expected to champion and direct continuous learning and improvement in all functions.
- Must work in a safe, professional manner at all times while performing all functions in accordance with sound safety practices and procedures. Must promptly report all safety violations, safety hazards, accidents, property damage, or near misses to management immediately.
- Adhere to and promote a strong work ethic.
- Assist in maintaining a positive team environment and good working relationship by maintaining a positive attitude toward all Diamond team members, vendors, and customers.
- Participate effectively in a team atmosphere by modeling and promoting conflict resolution, diversity, ethical practices, and organizational citizenship.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES AND EXEMPTION STATUS:
No Supervisory Responsibilities
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Capable of following, reading, and understanding Good Manufacturing Practices, HACCP, and SOP policies and procedures.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, to effectively communicate in a professional manner.
- Excellent interpersonal skills (communication, listening, team player, cooperative, approachable).
- Ability to be organized, flexible, multitask, manage stress, and perform acceptably under pressure.
- Ability to maintain a problem-solving mindset able to make accurate critical decisions; to anticipate problems and to develop constructive and balanced solutions.
- Ability to work in cold, hot, dusty areas and at various heights.
- Must be able to take direction, work efficiently and safely.
- Ability to be trained and certified to operate forklifts.
- Must be proficient in using computer systems (internal Diamond systems and Microsoft Office Applications such as Word, Excel, Power Point and Adobe Acrobat).
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Must successfully pass a pre-employment drug test, physical (physical, lifting, hearing, and vision), and background check.
- Minimum of 1 year experience in a Quality Control position preferred.
- AA Degree in a related field would be accepted in lieu of experience.
- Skilled in computer work involving Microsoft Office.
- All Diamond Pet Food employees who drive company owned vehicles or drive their own vehicle for company purposes must present and maintain a valid driver’s license with a clear DMV record that is insurable with our company vehicle insurance company. For personal vehicle use for company purposes, the employee must also provide a copy of their valid vehicle insurance policy.
Work is performed indoors in an office setting, outdoors or in the plant near operating equipment. Works in both low and high heights, cold, hot, dusty areas where loose particles may be present. Works near operating equipment and loud noise, such as forklift horns and machinery. Loose and dusty particles may be present.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be able to stand, sit, and walk for long periods including on a catwalk.
- Must be capable of lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling up to 50 pounds routinely.
- Must be capable of overhead work and manual dexterity for manipulating or moving objects.
- Must be able to climb both stairs and ladders up to a high elevation.
- Must be able to balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl.
- Must be able to operate a forklift.
- Must be able to perform moderate labor under constant machine operation and other noise.
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT
Work performed in this job requires employee to wear the following PPE as required. PPE is provided to employee by Diamond Pet Foods Other PPE is required based upon the task being completed. Employees must always wear the proper personal protective equipment for the task.
- Bump Cap/Hard Hat
- Ear Plug
- Safety Glasses
- Work Boot
Please send resume and completed application to firstname.lastname@example.orgDownload AR, KS, MO, SC Application Download CA Application